Immigration Solutions

I-751 Checklist

What documents should I send with my I-751 Petition?

The I-751 Petition is document intensive and will require that you be organized and prepared to provide all the evidence you have of a bona fide marriage, even if your marriage ended.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that the documents you provide must cover from the date of Marriage to the date you file the case or if you are no longer married, until the date your marriage ended.

USCIS places a lot of weight on – proof of joint ownership of assets, joint responsibility for liabilities and active commingling of finances. Evidence that  you have combined financial resources such as:

Full Checking, Savings or investment account statements showing ALL the transaction pages. USCIS will review the statements to see that the accounts have been actively used on a routine basis by both spouses for household and living expenses through the marriage

Proof that you and your spouse have made estate, health and financial planning arrangements with each other – such as a will, trust or durable power of attorney for health or property or both.

Federal and State Tax Returns, including relevant schedules and attachments such as W2 from date of Marriage to present. USCIS prefers that there is PROOF of filing with the IRS.  So it is best to order the actual Return and Wage and Income Transcripts from the IRS instead of sending a copy of the returns )

Joint utility bills, family plan cell phones, etc.

Joint Loan or credit card account statements.

Any other joint accounts that prove your joint-life.

Children as a result of your marriage

Copies of civilly registered birth certificates

Final Adoption Decrees for any children adopted

Court guardianship records for any stepchildren

School/Medical Records indicating the stepparent as a contact/guardian

Proof that you and your spouse have resided together and shared responsibility for a common residence.

Lease in both names showing joint occupancy

Deeds or Mortgages in both names showing joint ownership

Copies of Driver’s Licenses/Identity Cards showing same residence.

Proof of joint trips or vacations.


Boarding passes

Hotel/Car Rental Receipts

Passport – entry/exit stamps and visas

Military Documentation (if applicable)

All pages from DD-1172 Form

Military Identification Card for both spouses and children

Form DD-1278 – if deployed outside the US

Permanent Change of Status documents – if deployed outside the US

Designation of spouse as beneficiary of SGLI policy

Proof of health insurance policy on behalf of dependents.

Affidavits from third parties who have knowledge of the bona fides of the marriage

Must contain the affiants full name, address, date, and place of birth

Include detailed information on how the affiant acquired first-hand knowledge of the marital relationship

Proof – such as photographs etc.

Affiants may be called to testify before an immigration officer regarding the affidavit.

Photographs of joint-life

Do not provide the original photographs.

Create a word document with the photographs in date order. Then print out the document in color and file with the I-751

Note the date, location, and occasion for each photograph.

If you are outside the U.S. you must provide

Two (2) passport-style photographs for each spouse and any children who are applying

Two completed Form RD-258 Fingerprint Cards for each spouse and children over the age of 14

Copy of current military/government orders.